About AMC - History and Mission
AMC was incorporated in 1977 as the "Joint Maritime Congress". The name was changed in 1989 to the American Maritime Congress, the name under which we have operated ever since. In that time, AMC has been involved in an educational capacity in every major piece of maritime related legislation debated in government.
Some of our successes include:
- Winning of veteranís recognition for World War II merchant mariners in the 1990s
- Passage of the Maritime Security Program in 1996
- Passage of the Maritime Transportation Security Act in 2003
The American Maritime Congress, founded in 1977, is a non-profit educational and research group representing U.S.-flag vessel operating companies in the international and domestic trades that have collective bargaining agreements with the Marine Engineersí Beneficial Association (AFL-CIO), which represents the licensed engineers and deck officers of the U.S. Merchant Marine.
As stated in our Articles of Incorporation, AMCís mission is:
- To study, examine, and research issues and problems affecting the American maritime industry and other related modes of transportation. The subjects for study, examination, and research include, but are not limited to, education and promotional activities, medical, health, safety, employer-employee relations, rules, regulations, and laws applicable to the American Maritime industry and other related modes of transportation;
- To foster suitable standards for the welfare of the American maritime industry;
- To improve communication between representatives of labor and management in the American maritime industry and other related modes of transportation;
- To expand and improve working relationships between workers and managers in the American maritime industry and other related modes of transportation, and;
- To enhance the economic development of the American maritime industry and to study and explore ways of eliminating potential problems that reduce the competitiveness of the American maritime industry and inhibit its economic development.
In laymanís terms - what is AMC all about? The answer is simple: ships and jobs.